In this post we are discussing some of the important things to know about capacitors in an application oriented perspective.
What is a capacitor?
- A component which stores energy as electric charges. The current through the capacitor leads the voltage across it.
- There are fixed as well as variable capacitors.
- Types based on the make. For more details, check this link
How to find the value of a capacitor?
- Identifying the value of capacitors are different as the capacitor type changes. I find a great article which explains this in detail
Considerations while selecting a Capacitor for your circuit
Choosing a capacitor for your circuit is not just about the designed value. There are few other important consideration.
- Tolerance: Like resistors,tolerance is an important parameter for capacitor.
- Voltage Rating: The capacitor that you are using must have a higher voltage rating (atleast 20%) than the peak voltage coming across it in your circuit. otherwise, your capacitor gets burned off.
- Polarity: If you are using polarised capacitors, make sure that positive is connected to positive voltage and negative is connected to ground /negative voltage. Other wise, your capacitor get damaged.
- Temperature: The value of the capacitors may increase or decrease, depends upon it’s make. So, understand the temperature characteristics of your capacitor before using it in your circuit.
About author: Mr. Thomas Sabu is an electronics enthusiast and currently leading the R&D activities of Neo Green Labs.